Last week we posted about one of two new teachers joining the Nicole’s Classes team to head up our Crafting department, and today we’d like to introduce you to the other! Here are 5 things we’d love to share with you about the savvy and skilled Watercolor 101 teacher, Monica Lee:
1) She jumpstarted her full time illustrating career a couple of years ago (though she had a greeting card company and illustrated all the product prior to that), and she’s loving every minute of it! It was the first time she had to approach art directors to book jobs, but it wasn’t as scary as she thought it would be because she had a supportive local art community that helped her along and critiqued my work. She knows putting yourself out there is a bit nerve wracking, which is why she embarked on the endeavor we’ll get to in #2. You can check out a sampling of some of her professional work here.
2) She’s not just an amazing artist, she’s also an entrepreneur! Monica created and hosts the web tv show Smart Creative Women. She started SCW in February 2012 when she realized that she liked trade shows and conferences just as much as she liked to paint. She’s a total people person and loves nothing more than introducing brilliant artists to each other to generate new ideas and ways of thinking. For her, nothing is better than hearing someone’s story and being encouraged by it. We couldn’t agree more!
3) As part of her SCW web series, she’s interviewed a lot of amazing women working in the business (and we’re kinda jealous). She’s recently featured our own Nicole Hill Gerulat and the crazy famous Mary Engelbreit! You can see a list of all of her inspiring guests here.
4) Before she decided to pursue being an artist full time, Monica was an international flight attendant! C’est trés cool! She got to travel to some pretty cool locations like London, Paris and Buenos Aires. But when she left that job, she didn’t want to go anywhere and has only recently got the travel bug back!
5) And just because we think this tidbit is too cool not to share with you, Monica was born in Italy! She thinks European culture is where it’s at (and again, we agree)! She loves American ingenuity but adores the laid back, talk, drink, dine culture of Europe (and as you can guess, we agree)!
We are beyond excited to add someone so accomplished and talented to our team, and we hope this gets all of you psyched up to take her class. The first Watercolor 101 session starts in March of 2013, so sign up now for your chance to learn from this smart and creative woman!